"On the loose to climb a mountain,

On the loose where I am free.

On the loose to live my life, the way I think my life should be,

For I've only got a moment and a whole world yet to see.

I'll be looking for tomorrow on the loose..."

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Good Day from Rustenburg

Dumela! I would like to start by telling you about my surroundings. I am living on the most beautiful farm I have ever seen. Rainhill Farm is located at the bottom of a large mountain range. The view is breath taking. There is a path close to my cottage that leads right up the mountain. You can guess what I’ll be doing on the weekends! Rainhill is a family place. The Hartley’s have owned and lived here for at least a couple generations. The extended Hartley family is currently living on the farm. There is every kind of pet here. The family has dogs, snakes, horses, llamas, hens, roosters (which happily announce themselves as the sun is coming up!), cats, baby squirrels, and more that I don’t even know about! This might give you an insight on the Hartley’s hospitality. They are so kind and really help me feel at home here on the farm. We are in the beginning of South Africa’s Fall. It has been gorgeous since I’ve arrived. Sunny and 80’s. No complaints! In these parts there are three main languages spoken: English, Setswana, and Africaan. Most people know how to speak English, and it is the mainstream language (the road signs, media, and businesses use English). However, English does not seem to be the language of choice. People mostly speak Setswana or Africaan while in conversation. It is very interesting to hear the differences between the languages. I believe I can distinguish the languages based on sounds, but also by who is speaking. It seems that the black Africans speak Tetswana and the white Africans speak Africaan. Another random observation—there are goats everywhere! While I was at work yesterday I saw a goat who appeared to be in labor. I was on a break so I was watching carefully, hoping she would giver birth. I couldn’t stay and watch any longer, but when I returned to work the next day there were two tiny baby goats! Very cool. One more observation—driving on the left side of the road! Or as I have heard it called “the correct” side of the road. Yeah, sure South Africa, whatever you say!

Peace, love, and baby goats,
Lily

2 comments:

  1. yes i just randomly went on your blog and you had posted. HOLLA. i will be reading these. im liking this whole blog deal.

    peace love and mountain hikes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lily: Greetings, Your description of Rain Hill, made me "homesick", I was traveling with Carol Weisse last fall, Five of us spent nealy a week at Tapologo. It is an extra-ordrinary place, and your descriptions are so vivid. I will look forward to reading your postings. And possibly a debrief with our group of "pilgrims" when your back at school. Much good cheer
    Joe Doolittle

    ReplyDelete